Tuesday 18 December 2012

Curtains - progess report

The rolls of fabric I'll be using



Curtain no.1 in progress.
As you can see, I have a lot of fabric to deal with.  In fact there are 36 metres of fabric in each curtain, when you tot up the curtain fabric, lining and interlining.  Goodness knows how many miles of stitching I will have done by the time I've finished!

The sewing is actually really easy, but with so much fabric, trying to iron the seams etc is a nightmare.  The most difficult bit so far though was trying to get all three layers in order and inserting the buckram.  I literally had to crawl inside the curtain to do this!  Anyway, now all that is left to do on curtain no.1 is the pleating and hemming now.  I'm going to leave the hemming until I've put them up as I think the floor is uneven.

However, the Christmas tree is now up and in the way, so even if I finish the pleating before Christmas, we won't actually hang the curtains until 2013.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Love how the cat snuck into the second photo! That is too much fabric for me to contemplate! I would have crawled into it and cried I think!

Unknown said...

I did crawl into it! It was the only way to get the buckram and interlining in!! And I almost cried - from frustration and being stabbed by pins so many times.